Here’s an update of what we’ve recently completed for DX, and a preview of other exciting things to come.
Return to Release Notes Home or Release Notes – Archive
Viewing Task Details
This is our next step into providing you real value by presenting results in a way that is easily consumable and actionable. You can now click into any task from the Journey results to see an aggregated summary of responses across all participants, e.g., all the feedback/rating/input for a given task. And you’re one click away from downloading images and playing recordings!
- You can now extend the end date of a Project, and add Participants to an active project!
- You can now add your own participants to a Project by specifying an email domain (e.g., @applause.com), so anyone who has that email domain will see the Journey via the Companion app. This way, you don’t need to invite people one-by-one.
DX Companion Apps
Notifications will inform participants about new journeys for both Android and iOS Companion apps.
Goal: Participants will be able to pause their screen recordings. Allowing them to avoid the recording of sensitive PII data such as payment instrument details, passwords etc.
Customer Web and Companion Apps
Goal: You’ll soon be able to enable Participants to report issues (aka bugs) during an Journey, so you can find important issues along with collecting general feedback.
As always, please reach out with any questions and feedback.
Review past release notes.
Return to Release Notes Home
Get the latest updates and feature improvements from the DX team.
May 11th, 2017
First, prepare you eyes. We now have…. COLOR in our app!
Much more than color though, we’re rolling out an updated design which begins the process of aligning with a new Applause brand already visible on Applause.com
We understand it’s all about the results. As such, we’ve continued building out our capabilities on this front.
Building onto the previously release features showing “summary level” data of all participant inputs across a project, we now have some nice visuals:
- Bar charts – for showing task completion, as well as showing responses from questions with multiple (checkbox) answers.
- Pie charts – for showing % of participants who completed a journey, as well as showing responses from questions with a single choice answer (radio buttons)
- Free text responses
- A “gallery” view of images and video inputs from participants, allowing you to go from one to the next very easily.
- Ability to download images/videos
DX Companion App Updates
Preparation for Bug Reporting and Push Notifications (not released yet).
- Working toward allowing bug reporting in journeys
- Also some behind the scenes work related to receiving push notifications
Push Notification Settings:
- Participants will soon be able to set notifications as they desire:
Pause and Restart Video
- If a Participant has something sensitive, for example, as part of the workflow they are recording, they can pause and resume the video. We stitch it together seamlessly for you.
Applause has always offered ways to get customer feedback on apps, yet in some ways this has been limited. Our new offering greatly enhances our capabilities by allowing you to:
- Send participants on a real-world journey. Much more than a simple test case, you can define specific tasks for users to conduct while interacting in the real world (e.g., order something, go pick it up, take a picture, etc.) and solicit their feedback while they are using your app, mockups, website, iOT device, etc.):
- Define questions for each task of your journey, which participants respond to, as they are doing the task.
- Request/require screen pictures or screen recordings of participants’ experience, so you can see what they see.
- Get feedback from real end-users (not just professional testers).
- Add your own users. Invite your own fan club, product/engineering teams, colleagues, friends, close circles, etc. to experience your app and give you honest feedback.
…and so much more.
- A project has a name, start/end dates, an app build/url, participants, and a defined journey.
- It’s a container for what you want get feedback on, when you want it by, and from whom you want feedback.
- It defines the specific path & questions you want participants to respond to.
- A journey is a set of tasks you define, that you want participants to perform using, or in conjunction with using, your app/website/mockup/iOT device.
- It’s the overall end-to-end, real-world user experience you want to get feedback on.
- You can specify each task description, add questions on each task, and indicate if you’d like participants to add pictures/screenshots/screen-recordings.
Workflow – Creating a Project:
Step 1: Define the Project
- Use a name that is simple but descriptive. (eg. Pizza Delivery App V.2.4 – April 2017)
- Select start and end dates – these are your desired dates/times,
- Share with your Project Manager, who will work with you to finalize.
- Provide a description for your project. This is for internal viewing, and will not be visible to participants.
Step 2: Add Participants
- Add your own project participants, and/or leverage Applause’s community.
- Invite your own customers, product/engineering teams, colleagues, friends, close circles, etc. to experience your app and give you honest feedback.
- Simply copy and paste in any email addresses of those you want to be invited to your project.
- Add Applause Community
- Indicate demographic, device, or other criteria that you would like participants to match. Your Project Manager will work to find participants who meet this criteria.
- This information will be passed along to your Project Manager who will work to find participants who meet this criteria, so you can get feedback from those who matter most to you.
Step 3: Provide Access to the App
- Upload a build or a pre-production app (Android or iOS)
- Or provide a URL to your app, website, or mockup (e.g., invision prototype)
Step 4: Define a Journey
- Name and describe your Journey. Participants will see this information and use this to help them determine if they want participate.
- Add Tasks. Tasks are things you want participants to do, in or outside of your app/site/mockup/etc.
- Participants will be prompted to conduct each task you define.
- Instructions should be short and clear.
- Tasks can be dragged around to order how you wish, and can be copied or deleted as needed.
- You can ask/require participants to provide an image and/or screen recording for each task. This allows you to see and hear (screen recording) what participants experience, and also verify they completed the task.
- Add any questions you’d like participants to respond to. Choose from single-choice, multiple-choice, or free-text questions. This can be done for each task.
Activating a Project
When you’re finished creating your project, you can “Request Activation”, which means you’re ready to invite participants to participate.
- Requesting Activation notifies your Project Manager that you are ready to go. The Project Manager will review your project, work with you to make an necessary modifications. Then they will Activate the Project.
- When the PM activates the project, participants will receive email invitations to join.
- Participants will be instructed to download the Applause app and create an Applause account. (or log in)
- Once they login, they will see the Project/Journey you created, including a brief description of the project and expectations. They can then start the journey to conduct the tasks you’ve defined.
- Your Project Manager will ensure you are getting the number and quality results you’re looking for.
At any point in the project, you’ll be able to view and export participant responses. View information such as completion %, time to complete, and dive into detailed responses from everyone combined, or view results individually.
- View screenshots
- Watch and listen to screen recordings
- View pie charts, bar charts, and free text answers to questions you’ve asked.
If this Help page doesn’t answer your question, click “Request Support” button at the top of this page.
Fill in the form which will create a ticket for the Applause Team. Choose the Category of “Digital Experience Alpha (DX)“. This ticket will go through our normal tiered support process, and escalated to product/engineering if needed.