In addition to creating new test cases online within the Applause platform, you can also create test cases offline in Excel and then upload them as .csv files.
Getting Started and Setup
Begin by downloading the Excel/CSV template attached below.
Rows that contain a Header label in column A will create new test cases.
Subsequent rows should contain the Step label.
There are also eight labeled columns, do not change the name of these columns.
- Type: Valid values are “Header” or “Step” as above.
- Test Case Name: Used in Header rows only.
- Description: Used in Header rows only.
- Estimated Hours: Used in Header rows only. It could be either a floating number or an integer, but must be greater than zero.
- Step Number: Used in Step rows only. Successive steps within a single test case should be numbered sequentially.
- Step Name: Give each step a name.
- Actions: Used in Step rows only. Input a single small step the tester should perform. Make it as clear and concise as possible. If your instructions become too long, then you may need to break them into multiple actions.
- Expected Result: Used in Step rows only. Input what the tester should see or experience when the instruction is performed. If the tester correctly encounters the expected result, then the test case step will pass. On the other hand, if the tester encounters an error or some other outcome, they’ll report this step as having failed.
- Min Attachment Per Step: Used in Step rows only. Input an integer of how many required attachments the tester has to upload to the step.
Each step should appear on its own row.
Your test case can have as many steps as it needs to completely describe the process you want tested.
Once you’ve completed writing your cases, save the file as a .CSV.